Friday Five: Things to do in Austin | Weekend of June 1, 2018
Looking for something fun to do this weekend in Austin? Turns out we aren't the only ones planning cool events in town, so we're starting a weekly series of fun things happening in ATX to keep you entertained, and we're calling it the Friday Five.
The next few days are going to take us into triple digits, so if you're feeling brave, plant yourself by a pool and stay hydrated, but we'd recommend full on air-conditioned venues.
Here are a few things we are hoping to check out!
1. Screening: How to Talk to Girls at Parties // TBH, I'm not a movie buff, but I love Neil Gaiman, the title is intriguing, and as far as I'm concerned movie theaters are one of the chilliest places you can visit to escape the summer heat.
Opens Friday, June 1 | Austin Film Society
2. Showcase: Smile More // Grab your favorite gals and check out this all-female comedy night that's sure to have you showing your teeth, and not because some random guy walking by suggested you smile.
Saturday, June 2 | The Institution Theater
3. Power Her Potential Women's Expo // Continuing with the #girlpower theme, we're looking forward to feeling empowered by the talks, workshops, panelists, and demos. Plus, ticket sales benefit women entrepreneurs!
Saturday, June 2 | Whole Foods Flagship Store
4. SoundSpace: Transmissions // The Blanton Museum continues their music programming with Transmissions, an eclectic lineup of musicians "exploring the history and future of the radio as a medium to share propaganda, mass culture, and even underground music." Sounds like fun! (See what I did there?)
Sunday, June 3 | The Long Center Lawn
5. Austin Symphony: Concerts in the Park // The Austin Symphony summer series is back, kicking it off on the lawn of the Long Center with Strings. It's the perfect spot to bring a picnic and by serenaded by soft tunes as you watch the sunset turn the city skyline orange.
Sunday, June 3 | Blanton Museum of Art
Hope to see you around town! Stay cool.